Saturday, July 8, 2023

Room for error

I am still in the final stage of my trans journey (and will be for a while) which mostly involves fine tuning. My decision to not medically transition firmly established, it is just working out the remaining reflection which I didn't have time for when I was so busy working. All that distraction somewhat impedes the deep dive that I am now afforded. Also the freedom to express your authentic self without borders forces that last stretch of refinement.

Someone like me had a lot of work to do by virtue of where I resided on the dysphoria scale. Had I existed further up, transition would have been a more urgent matter whereas with milder dysphoria sporadic cross gender expression might have sufficed. Therefore there was no way to make a well informed decision without very deep introspection. My interest in the subject matter from a clinical perspective was something of a bonus which wasn't mandatory but it still helped in the understanding that I was making none of this up.

This new more accepting environment has seen some people transition perhaps with not enough reflection and then detransition to become role models for transphobes (some even willingly). This is unfortunate because their own case has little to do with someone else's. That trans people from my generation needed to be more cautious it is because the environment was a lot less ripe for any kind of error and I
 am far too cautious for that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

All respectful comments are welcome :)

This was Hartford

Victim to urban sprawl and horrible civic planning. Car culture did not help....