Tuesday, July 4, 2023

Of more coffees to come

My friend Marcela and I met for coffee today. She is a fascinating person with an extrovert personality and a kind face which is regularly probing your expression. She was explaining to me some of her current life challenges and at 10 years her senior I am perhaps able to provide some guidance. She seems to see me as an older sister as she asks for my opinion on different things.

We speak in Spanish because she is of Chilean extraction (although she was very young arriving in Canada).which connects us to a common Latin heritage. She is one of the friends who do not know of my trans history.

When we talk over coffee I no longer try and guess what people are thinking and increasingly relax into myself. The result is that the interaction is more genuine and I am more able to focus and be present for the other person. I can feel the difference it's making.

We later go into a little craft store and buy rope style bracelets helping each other with our choices. A simple task and yet very affirming of my femininity. The women all around interact with me and I feel welcome among the banter which includes the shop owner herself.

More coffees with her to come to be certain.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All respectful comments are welcome :)

Crossing the concourse