Friday, September 15, 2023

Unraveling a mummy

That foregoing full authenticity just to be accompanied by someone in life can be a bad idea is something only understood in retrospect. Many of us married thinking we could make a go of it only to discover our identities after the fact. This was pretty much standard procedure for transgender people born in the 50"s, 60's, 70's or before. Here I am speaking primarily of gynephilics although some do in fact experience a shift in orientation post transition.

Coming to an understanding of identity after years of programming isn't going to happen in one fell swoop but rather like the unraveling of a mummy. That many of us tried the stiff upper lip approach once inside is to our credit and I might still be in my marriage today had my spouse not wanted out. That this turned out to be best for both wasn't obvious then which is why we can't know what is good for us whilst inside our respective bubbles.

Perhaps I'm wrong here, but otherwise it seems to me that nobody really wins.


No comments:

Post a Comment

All respectful comments are welcome :)

Gender Performativity

Judith Butler's theory of gender performativity....