Friday, October 27, 2023

How to think

We want to teach people how to think instead of what to think. That should be the objective of an education which involves providing guidelines and tools for critical thinking. We should always be ready to examine why we believe something since if we cannot explain it to ourselves we will be hard pressed to convey it to others.

I remember when I was first exposed to gender therapy for a few months and expressing my deeply held convictions about myself so emphatically. It took a number of years to rewire my thinking so I could make sense of my place in the world and why I had absorbed so much irrational societal orthodoxy. That experience also taught me to be my own therapist in a journey that included combing much of the expert literature.

One of the reasons I avoid group think is to examine everything with a critical lens which is the only way to discover truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All respectful comments are welcome :)

Imperfection

The longer we've lived the more holes there are to patch. Yes, we have gained experience but life has also handed us some challenges whi...