Tuesday, October 24, 2023

Nothing is impossible

Every once in a while I am surprised by a statement like "I married a person and not a gender". It was jarring because someone of my generation wasn't raised to expect it. It was made by the spouse of a transgender person who expected their spouse to leave once they transitioned and was amazed by their response.

People like that woman are out there but they are distinctly a minority. Once thing is tolerating occasional gender variance that some are happy to regale in, but it is quite another to buy into a wholesale gender transition.

The endocrinologist Dr Morris had assured me that it wasn't quite as rare as I had surmised and yet my knowledge of the way human beings function plus my increasing reliance on self, made the issue less important and relevant. I knew of too many stories of carnage and disappointment to risk losing myself again for the sake of companionship which could turn toxic down the road.

Today I understand my full value plus what I bring to the table and reliance on the self becomes primordial because, without it, we cannot measure our true worth. As soon as something intrinsic to our core is abandoned, we have given away too much.

Nevertheless, the quote stuck with me as evidence that nothing is impossible.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All respectful comments are welcome :)

Imperfection

The longer we've lived the more holes there are to patch. Yes, we have gained experience but life has also handed us some challenges whi...