Sunday, January 28, 2024

A short visit

My children and I went to the home renovation center I used to frequent when they were small. At that time I was working on the 1951 home I had purchased in the mid 1990's and on a Saturday such places were full whereas today it was empty. My almost 26 year old daughter offered an explanation which made perfect sense: no one has houses to repair any longer. Her generation does not own homes because of lack of affordability and my generation finished repairing theirs and perhaps sold them and retired or are thinking about doing so. Behind us there is a void.

The price of an average home in Montreal is over $500,000 which is beyond the reach of most GenZ and even some younger millenials which means they are renting or still living with aging parents trying to figure out how they are going to establish themselves in what has increasingly become a gig economy.

This visit was spurred on by my son who has taken over as defacto coordinator of a powder room upgrade for his mother and going in there with him had me recalling when he would be sometimes pushed along inside the shopping cart. He wanted to look at things like vanities, mirrors and faucets.

As we commented on what we saw, I was reminded that not only does time pass quickly but that the world has changed so drastically since he last rode in that cart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All respectful comments are welcome :)

Crossing the concourse