Wednesday, February 28, 2024

Crank

I don't know about you, but I've always wanted to get the views of Dr Phil McGraw on the current political and cultural landscape. I will now remove my tongue from my cheek.

There's something particularly off-putting about a cranky television psychologist showing up on FOX news, Joe Rogan and other right-leaning outlets to weigh in on what he has concluded is cultural decay. With a tendency to be smarmy and condescending, the reality is that Dr. Phil has no pedigree other than his appeal to older boomers eager for confirmation that the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Of course he will appeal to the Ma and Pa voters who want to hear there are only two genders and who will nod their head in complete agreement with Phil's assessments. The blockhead voter who does not want to think too hard will be happy to have him put his two cents in because they saw him on what increasingly over time became tawdry reality television.

David Pakman, who is a much more clever and patient soul, does his best here and clearly exposes Phil's limitations as a pundit and world problem solver. Okay, I will stop rolling my eyes now....


No comments:

Post a Comment

All respectful comments are welcome :)

This was Hartford

Victim to urban sprawl and horrible civic planning. Car culture did not help....