Tuesday, February 27, 2024

Misinformation

Recently I had the unenviable task of defending the rights of transgender people in front of two ladies who don't know my history. One is a retired 90 year old pediatrician (who looks 70) and the other my friend Pierrette who is in her mid 70's. I would say that I was successful but once again it was confirmed to me that people are not well informed. In fact over a number of years I had to educate even my now 65 year old GP so clearly there is much lack of knowledge out there. This is sometimes true among gender variant people themselves.

The ladies listened attentively and agreed no one should be discriminated against for being who they are which is my policy for all humans provided they are not hurting anyone else.

Some of you may think I am copping out in not coming out to these people but I do so on a case by case basis and when I feel in my bones that it is warranted. I met them in a happenstance fashion and I feel it is no more an obligation than announcing your orientation upon first meeting someone.

Nevertheless, what I am realizing more and more is that gender expression, gender identity and sexual orientation tend to get jumbled up in the heads of the general public. The good news is that what I am largely seeing is well-intentioned curiosity rather than fear and hostility. I have faced zero backlash among all the people I have come out who have all embraced me with open arms.

Therefore, despite the current fringe right-wing lunatic backlash which is steeped largely in last ditch desperation, I feel we are generally headed in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All respectful comments are welcome :)

Gender Performativity

Judith Butler's theory of gender performativity....