Friday, February 16, 2024

Our worst enemy

Most of us are our own worst enemies. We stress over life's details and fail to put them into perspective. We will drown in the proverbial glass of water rather than just laugh something off which shouldn't have siphoned off nearly as much of our energy.

We care about what people think far too much and every move is measured against how society or family will assess us. It is a tragic waste of energy which deprives us of living life to the fullest.

What makes us happiest are contact with people we truly appreciate and fulfilling activities that give us purpose and meaning. The rest is useless and fleeting and only brings temporary satisfaction akin to eating fast food. It may feel good when being consumed but there is no nutritional value to be drawn from it.

I am increasingly improving as I age in my ability to not give a shit and it's helped me immeasurably. I say this about small insignificant things when put against the larger scheme of our lives are paltry concerns. As an example I used to see stepping out of a car and into a mall wearing a dress at 21 years of age as the scariest thing imaginable. I am able to laugh at myself with the perspective I have gained but it is not just about being a young petrified transgender person in the early 1980's since fear infiltrates all areas of our lives.

Many people are afraid to truly live and we should ideally not be among them.




No comments:

Post a Comment

All respectful comments are welcome :)

Gender Performativity

Judith Butler's theory of gender performativity....