Monday, April 29, 2024

Mistaken

I'm having lunch with Nadine today and decided to wear a jean skirt instead of my usual skinny jeans or leggings. Mornings are still a bit cool but I tend to be more comfortable this time of year than when it's too hot and I melt under the weight of Montreal's renowned humid summers. Thus a bit of wind on bare legs was hardly a problem especially when my disdain for pantyhose is so well-established to the point that they shall never be worn again if I can help it.

Nadine is someone I hesitated coming out to because her Egyptian Christian background had me suspect she might not entirely be receptive to transgender people. Instead she has become almost my biggest cheerleader among a group of women colleagues (between ages 35 and 50) who have embraced me well beyond my expectations. She is an example to not assume based on weak presumptions and to simply go for it without hesitation. If you already respect the person, chances are that they will reward your faith in them with both goodwill and judicious judgement.

At this age what people think is unimportant to me but for those who we have known in a different incarnation for some time there can be a moment of doubt. We imagine their reaction and are, more often than not, proven to be completely mistaken.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All respectful comments are welcome :)

Crossing the concourse