Thursday, June 27, 2024

Trusting my instincts

I've thought about a baseline coordinate system for many years. It's the idea that we are provided with a predetermined x and y axis to navigate inside of from the time we are born which we aren't supposed to question. Except how do we know if it is the correct for us? The answer is that we do not.

Human beings learn both by osmosis and being instructed what to do but then as one ages and realizes what has happened it may dawn on them that some  of it may have been detrimental. The coordinate system they were taught was a reliable one was in fact not beneficial to them in particular.

The change I have made in my life is one of the most drastic I could ever have imagined and yet it feels perfectly organic. I finally left the safety and familiarity of the coordinate system nest I had lived under for most of my life which was not easy to do and yet felt very necessary. However, I didn't want someone to coax me out of it through therapy. Instead I needed to do this for myself because most clinicians would not be able to relate to what I was experiencing. Plus I ended up being far more educated in the subject matter than any therapist I might have spoken to.

Since very young I had always been drawn to the idea of being a girl but needed to understand it both viscerally and scientifically and so I plunged into the available research. In parallel something strange and magical happened which ultimately surprised me. 

I learned to trust my own instincts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All respectful comments are welcome :)

Well said