Wednesday, September 4, 2024

Change is possible

I have changed dramatically since I first began writing publicly in 2012. Change is a good thing and now I realize with great clarity how much my previous life wasn't working for me. It was like trying to put a band-aid on a wound that needed stitches.

If we feel we are stagnant we should ask ourselves why we haven't changed. Is it because we were physically constrained by life and dared not advance our mental exploration?

One of the things that disappoints me greatly is seeing people feel despondent and deflated by their life situations. They often develop a resiliency which is liberally doused with a resignation that progress for them isn't possible; something which isn't true.

If we do not love ourselves at our core for who we are we will be more likely to adopt self defeat. We will also be more prone to accept the concensus of others that there is something wrong with us and accept their vision of how our lives should be lived.

As a result of all my work my sense of self-worth has improved greatly. I went from seeing my difference as an illness to regarding it as part of the random variability of human kind. Both secrecy and shame could then safely be jettisoned thus elevating the psyche and my confidence.

Older people are more likely to feel trapped because they bought in very early in life into a narrative that is very difficult to scrub away. Without doing the work to lift the shroud, the change will not be able to happen.

We don't get there overnight and, like everyone else, we will be fine tuning for the rest of our natural lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All respectful comments are welcome :)

An unfortunate constant

The current American political climate is an exaggerated version of what is happening elsewhere in the world. The right wing has been radica...