Thursday, September 5, 2024

"Il a change de sexe"

The barista was pleasant and I was my usual chatty self. He was 30 years old and we talked about the state of society and the differences between our respective generations. We were the one that was dutiful and obeyed convention while they feel much less constrained.

Then he surprised me and said in French that suddenly at age 60 his father had changed sex "soudainement a 60 ans, il change de sexe". He said it without disdain but looking up and perhaps expecting that I might wince. Instead I offered a gentle smile and marveled for a second at the irony.

I then asked him if he still loved his father and he responded that despite some issues between them that he does.

It was so good to hear.

I then went into more soliloquy about how my black and white world felt unchangeable and how I am so happy that socially they are more open and accepting of diversity. I told him I was so happy his father was finally free.

2 comments:

All respectful comments are welcome :)

An unfortunate constant

The current American political climate is an exaggerated version of what is happening elsewhere in the world. The right wing has been radica...