Saturday, August 12, 2023

Approval

One of the ways we know we are coming into our own is that we no longer seek outside validation which I feel helps to reduce fear. After all, if we don't care what strangers think of us we are ready to be our sole providers of self esteem. If we become easily deflated by outside opinion and constantly seek out positive feedback, it may be we still have work to do.

I recall years ago feeling so deflated when I was sure a certain stare meant I had been found out whereas today I might smile or frown at someone who might look a little too long without knowing or caring why. Self assurance isn't boastful. If anything it is a calm sense of self that accepts we come with our warts and imperfections.

Sitting in a subway car I am not constantly vigilant about who is watching because it does not matter as we only need that vigilance for safety and not approval.

We don't even need any likes on that selfie and, at 60, I honestly just couldn't give a damn.

You shouldn't either.



No comments:

Post a Comment

All respectful comments are welcome :)

The desert island

I simply love philosophical questions like this one posed by someone who is not in any way gender variant. It is somewhat similar to my prop...