Saturday, August 12, 2023

Authenticity

Authenticity isn't the same thing for every person and I define it as a fundamental respect for the nature of the self which feeds and elevates the spirit. For transgender people that can translate into different ways of living but in its ideal form it should not involve suppression unless that is a desired goal because we experience distress.

A few years ago, when I was seeing the endocrinologist Dr. Morris to consult on possibly starting an HRT regimen, he told me his patients varied greatly in their approach. Some were early transitioners, some late and some simply took a small dosage for balancing dysphoric feelings. I use this example because it once again fortified the idea of our uniqueness. He helped sell me on the idea that, for a variety of reasons, I didn't need hormones which made me respect him all the more but then that was part of my own tailor made solution towards addressing my dysphoria.

In the end, to live in authenticity is to elevate our humanity and we will know it when our self esteem is raised as a consequence but, if our approach is the wrong one, it will have the entirely opposite effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All respectful comments are welcome :)

Gender Performativity

Judith Butler's theory of gender performativity....