Thursday, August 17, 2023

It goes fast

I am now older than my father was when he passed away in 1995 and if you had told me then how I would be living today I would have thought you were insane for even suggesting it. I was 32 years old then and beyond in denial; at this point only indulging cross gender expression when the pressure built, purging and then promising this was the last time. The fact that I had been doing that since a very young child did not register in my psyche as proof that there is no cure for being transgender for that word did not even yet form part of our societal lexicon.

Today there is a very lucid self acceptance but back then I had not yet done enough homework other than the perusal of library books and the odd research paper. The internet was still in its infancy and I was beginning to see there was much more than meets the eye through reading the testimonials of others like me. My research work began in earnest a few years later and by 2012 I began blogging and working slowly towards self actualization; my intellectual curousity not able to rest until I was duly convinced.

As you can probably tell, I am now.

2 comments:

  1. Days before the internet, I thought I was the only one. Reading about others life experiences that match some of my own experiences has been a life saver. I thank those that pay it forward.
    -Christina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember looking in the encyclopedia in the early 70's and having a realization moment

      Delete

All respectful comments are welcome :)

Gender Performativity

Judith Butler's theory of gender performativity....