Tuesday, November 14, 2023

20/20

My children are GenZ and are far less likely to do what is socially expected simply because society has relaxed its norms. Hence the type of panic that set in when we weren't married by a certain age is almost certainly not going to occur for them. This lack of obligation is also going to benefit gender variant people who can wait for the right train.

As one of the last of the boomers I certainly felt the pressure that a clock was ticking and perhaps more so as I was escaping something I was convinced I had a handle on. I had told myself that marriage was certainly going to help in that department which of course it didn't.

From where I sit today I prefer the freedom to viscerally choose what is right for us and, as much as I love my children to bits, I would have benefitted from exploring who I was without the impetus to do what everyone else did.

That I have zero regrets has much to do with my belief that we do the best we can with the information and knowledge of self at the time. So while hindsight might approach 20/20, we would not be the individual we are today having taken a different path.

2 comments:

  1. I am GenX and certainly felt the "society norm clock" growing up. And certainly felt the strong urge to get married and by doing that it would make me stop CDing at the time. Of course it didn't.

    I am glad things are better for Gen Z in that regard. Where people can just go their own path without trying to "fit in" to some stereotype.
    -Christina

    P.S. I like the new blog format!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I ultimately learned was that I wasn't a CD at all but there was considerably more to this. It's why I started writing back in 2012 and why so much work on myself needed to be done...glad you like the format :))

      Delete

All respectful comments are welcome :)

Gender Performativity

Judith Butler's theory of gender performativity....