Tuesday, December 26, 2023

The meaning of Christmas

Being hyper-aware of our own existence can sometimes lead to angst because we look around and realize that our time is limited and much of what occupies it are futile pursuits. We don't understand why we are on this planet and never asked to be created and are then invited to find meaning. Much of the writing of philosophers amounts to trying to comprehend human behaviour and what drives it.

Religion has filled the gap to deal with existential dread and for those who are more comfortable not having to overthink, it can be soothing to follow black and white dictates and gain an assured reward for following them.

At 61 I believe in my own way and Christmas has shifted to a blend of belief which marries my rational mind with my yearning for spiritual ideas larger than myself. I observe the almost robotic behaviour of some stressing about gifts and get togethers and appreciate my ability to detach myself by seeing it all with an increased perspective which life has given me.

We want to mature into ourselves while still keeping the innocence of wonder and amazement. Once having removed the trappings of society, we want to find our own niche which bathes in authenticity while possessing the discernment to know what is truly right for us.


No easy balance.



No comments:

Post a Comment

All respectful comments are welcome :)

This was Hartford

Victim to urban sprawl and horrible civic planning. Car culture did not help....