Sunday, March 17, 2024

Dieu existe

Roger is diminutive and happy-go-lucky. He sees me coming at a distance and says "Joanne!"

We stop to chat on the sidewalk and he proceeds to tell me that he is sure God exists. "Je suis certain" he says in bon Quebecois. He tells me he loves everyone "J'aime tout le monde"

I used to see him and his young daughter walking together. A divorced dad of maybe 40 he always had a smile while deeply immersed in conversation with her. He works at a fruit and vegetable store on Wellington street where he earns his keep.

I tell him I am no longer religious but spiritual and he admits to the same. He cannot put his finger on the reason his faith in God has increased but simply places his fist over his heart as confirmation to me that he feels it viscerally. As good a reason as any I surmise.

He walks away happy and smiling yet again, wishing me a good day in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All respectful comments are welcome :)

This was Hartford

Victim to urban sprawl and horrible civic planning. Car culture did not help....