Sunday, March 17, 2024

Noise

There are political and social movements plus the onslaught of online opinion and we can become lost in all of it. At the end of the day however we must live our lives which often can be simpler than all of the drama the world is embroiled in.

I don't want to be immune to the noise but I also realize that a quiet life lived in reflection is good for me. I have hopped off the carousel of career and want to enjoy the everyday with more gusto and more mindfulness as I find joy in the little things.The outside world often works in opposition to internal peace and so we must live in it without becoming overly entangled in every minute trap. If I've learned anything in aging it is that I can more readily identify what warrants giving  importance to.

I walk Montréal seeing people rushing in the street or being absorbed in their phones on public transit and I recall what it was like to constantly bathe in hurry because there was another mission to be fulfilled. With that necessity gone you can see how much of life is steeped in artificial urgency which, in retrospect, did not deserve so much of our mental energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All respectful comments are welcome :)

This was Hartford

Victim to urban sprawl and horrible civic planning. Car culture did not help....