Monday, March 4, 2024

Lost in othodoxy

Without organized religion a healthy portion of humanity would go into sheer panic. For there are people who detest greys and seek certainty within the black and white dictates of orthodoxy. For them there is nothing like believing in a dogma that offers you perfect and neat guarantees. Even if their belief contravenes rationality so be it.

This doesn't work for me because understanding we are limited by virtue of our humanity, I prefer to rationalize my embracing of some uncertainty as being inherently normal. Something which is far beyond my scope invites doubt while at the same time, it offeris us a chance to observe everything around us and see intelligence rather than pure randomness prompted by self-created cosmic material.

I always use the same analogy of an ant imagining the origin of a human. It is impeded by its natural limitations and yet our hubris invites some to think that our limited science affords us all the answers. Hence I give up where I must and adopt a kind of pragmatic spirituality which is reinforced by what I see in the most altruistic of human acts.

There aren't numerous religions by accident and yet most find common ground in building a better world through charity and kindness for those most in need. Thus I marry my scientific education and rational mind and look to Thomas Aquinas for his belief that God can be found in the everyday physical reality. In other words, there is no faith without reason.

Hence, I would suggest that if we become lost in orthodoxy, we have entirely missed the point.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All respectful comments are welcome :)

God only knows