Monday, May 6, 2024

Not that simple

When answering questions during a Q&A 8 years ago, Madeline Johnson was very quick to dismiss "crossdressers" as fetishistic in nature. She had transitioned and wanted to put some distance between her reality and those who dress up maybe once a month but I don't think it's quite that simple.

Even if the core gender identity is not seriously put into question there can still be a need for expression and finding it when constrained by the confines of daily life inside a marriage is not simple. When I was convinced that is who I was I tried hard to make that work for me and to go as long as possible between episodes but the dysphoria was too demanding to allow that. I had misdiagnosed myself and I know I am not the only one.

People do what they can to honor whatever calls out within them and we know there is much variety within humans. Natal males have been so constrained with their gender expression that it is invariable that in some it crosses over into outlets that sometimes become needs more than just wants.

My own experience with meeting people and reading about them has confirmed that it is indeed a spectrum of behaviour where there can be spilling into issues of core identity. Some settle for underplaying their reality for the sake of saving existing marriages and family ties and take what they can as consolation prize.

Every case and every human is unique.

                         Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment

All respectful comments are welcome :)

Detransition after 25 years

Everyone has a story and this is Sam's...