Saturday, June 15, 2024

Man yells at clouds

I used to enjoy watching Bill Maher but now he grates against my nerves. His smugness used to be forgivable because at least his stance on so many issues seemed to be in the right place.

He doesn't think he has changed but insists that the left abandoned him. His proud self-labelling of classic liberal seems to be reinforced by his attacking what he calls the "Woke left" and in the  process he picks up thick-headed right wing sympathizers who want to showcase him as a converted leftist who has seen the light.

All I can see now is "old man yells at clouds" with his stance on Israel and LGBTQ issues (he calls them boutique) as signs that he is not evolving. Just because you are over 60 does not mean that you stop reflecting and progressing and despite the fact that he is not claiming equivalency between far left and right political factions, I find myself disagreeing with him more than I ever have.

No, he doesn't get everything wrong but even if we still see eye to eye on some issues, the smugness only exacerbates things for me.



No comments:

Post a Comment

All respectful comments are welcome :)

When I talk about transition

When I talk about transition I am referring mostly to a mental journey and not a physical one because the latter is far less important.  If ...