Friday, May 19, 2023

Little fist bumps

"May I disrupt you Madame?"

I told the man I didn't have any cash before looking up from my phone and realizing he just wanted to sit at the same table to which I said "of course". The public market was fairly busy at that hour.

He was using a cane which he placed on the floor next to him. His teeth were in bad shape and he looked gaunt and pale as he began to converse with me. He told me he lived only on a government assistance check of $900 a month which covered everything including lodging and food. That allowed him to have his one daily coffee as an extravagance. 

He used to work as an auto mechanic but now retired he could only count on old age security and nothing else. There had been no other pension.

He was kind and generous with his information and offered me little fist bumps of approval when I said something that pleased him. It reminded me of how little I have to complain about as I see more and more people today fall off the grid and be left to their own devices.

As I finally left him, he wished me long life and happiness to which I offered the same knowing that many of his days may not always be all that rosy when you don't make enough to sustain you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All respectful comments are welcome :)

Confidence loss

We've all been hit with a sudden loss of confidence in public. It's like a slap in the face and the cheeks become flushed. Suddenly ...