Thursday, September 28, 2023

Hope

My GenZ kids are super open and accepting of everyone. Their entire generation is and they are devoid of the kind of hangups that so hampered baby boomers. In fact it is boomers who are currently creating most of the problems with regards to toxic ideas, policies and bills aimed at transgender people.

I was having this conversation with my 25 year old daughter who cannot relate to a toxicity that I fully comprehend and whose effects I liberated myself from.

Many of us were exposed to extreme orthodoxy in religion and very strict gender norms which allowed no flexibity. As a result anyone who didn't fit the expected stereotype was more prone to be self hating which created many unhappy and frustrated people.

My wonderful children love me and accept me exactly as I am and they want to see a world where everyone is accepted for their individual identities no matter what they may be. Provided of course you aren't hurting someone else.

There may be hope for us yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All respectful comments are welcome :)

Performing

If you watched the video on Judith Butler's theory of performativity you will note that she sees gender more as verb than noun. One perf...