Wednesday, October 11, 2023

A better way

The mantra of "all gender variance equals trans" isn't particularly helpful today especially for young people who are questioning. I will be having a Skype call with Helene soon to discuss her upcoming presentation and I think this is an important angle. Once again, the people who risk most getting hurt are the ones for whom transition is ultimately beneficial and life saving.

In my time many of us resisted transition like the plague or had to jump through exhausting hoops to get there. Not so today and, even if detransitioners are a small percentage in the grand scheme of things, they are used as fodder for right wing agendas especially when they themselves decry that they were sped through when they weren't really transgender after all but had other issues at play.

I am the older generation stubborn mule who refused to accept who I was and people like me will almost certainly cease to exist. Not that by any means I am saying that my path is ideal; quite the contrary; it sucked. I just think that we need to develop a better way to help people who are questioning in this new environment. Maybe somewhere in between.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All respectful comments are welcome :)

This was Hartford

Victim to urban sprawl and horrible civic planning. Car culture did not help....