Monday, June 24, 2024

Escaping detection

I think that if we are not careful, denial can help build neuroses. Older transgender people who refused to fully accept themselves and avoided looking in the mirror needed methods to cope and usually found them. Dealing with an extra layer of complexity most people do not have, they needed distractions but also mental tricks to keep the inner female at bay. I was one of them and find much affinity with those who built up intricate facades that would escape detection.

That wall has largely come down but I can tell there are little remnants of a guarded past still left. I will be talking with someone and at times wonder why they haven't read through my eyes everything I used to feel obliged to hide. But they don't and seem attracted to a lady with a nice disposition who is friendly to talk to.

If I write about psychology a lot it is because it is all about that. We need to remake much more of it than we thought due to the work that went into building that carefully crafted protective layer.

In that light, clothing is the least of our concerns.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All respectful comments are welcome :)

Neuroplasticity