Monday, September 16, 2024

The Mexican lady

She told me I could put my purse on the empty chair next to her but I declined telling her I prefer it next to my feet to deter snatchers. That kick started our conversation.

She was from Mexico and I was yet again speaking in Spanish (hers was sweet and melodic) which now happens daily. She tells me she is careful about speaking with strangers but gets a vibe as to who will be open to it and she guessed right.

Her skin tone had been her issue growing up which was fed through discrimination. Her mother would tell her to keep her arms covered and avoid the sun lest she look even darker. The wonderful olive tone only adding to her vivacious expressions. She looked much younger than 79 which her Latin heritage undoubtedly contributed to. The 10 minutes I spent with her are the kinds of interactions I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All respectful comments are welcome :)

An unfortunate constant

The current American political climate is an exaggerated version of what is happening elsewhere in the world. The right wing has been radica...