Dealing with an older parent can be a challenge sometimes. They have slowly become more child like and the roles have slowly reversed.
At 90 my mother repeats herself a lot and I have given up on my pronouns and dead naming because it isn't worth it. She you accepts you and loves you which is enough.
My mother isn't educated but has plenty of life savvy to spare. Her prodding me out of shyness is what helped get me where I am and I will be forever grateful. It was my father who was the intellectual and counted on her earthy pragmatism as counter balance to his bookish ways..
Yes, they can frustrate us but that is because no one knows better how to push buttons we were certain by now were defective; the ones that prompted us to want to hide under furniture from the embarrassing behaviour they inflicted on us in public when we were kids.
She is well surrounded with a large family who cares and is happy to return the favour for her tireless energy.
No comments:
Post a Comment
All respectful comments are welcome :)