I don't like it when some transgender people become overly ontological in defining themselves. It can invariably turn apologetic.
Davina is someone I happened to catch on Soft White Underbelly and over the course of the interview proceeded to explain her take on her own identity.
"I am a biological male who has had FFS and am on hormones. I am not a woman but always wanted to be" she says in a deep baritone.
Okay, but then this could be a great number of transgender people who don't feel compelled to stress their genetic origins.
One of the reasons I have deliberately strayed away from getting hung up on manhood and womanhood semantics is that both definitions contain a healthy dose of societal definition. Depending on which culture and era one is born in the expectations and obligations can change significantly.
It's also become a trap for gender criticals to deny rights to transgender people based on the "you're not a real woman" argument.
Consider two people with exactly the same path taken in terms of medical approach. One emphasizes their biology while the other one their womanhood and yet they are both transgender individuals.
The one who acknowledges biology might be lauded by the right wing for being "sensible" while the other is considered delusional.
Both say they are living their truth and I would have argument with neither.

No comments:
Post a Comment
All respectful comments are welcome :)