Tuesday, August 11, 2026

No way around it

Older transgender people will have more trouble adapting to existing at a point somewhere within the old binary than today's youth. The reason is simple: when we grew up there were two choices with no meeting of the poles being possible. 

We basically had men who dressed up as women once in a while and mostly in secret or transsexual people who transitioned fully. It was never that simple in truth of course, but from a bird's eye level it just seemed that way. 

Youth today more readily and openly embrace an identity somewhere between those two poles or they transition fully. The choices are there for them and they can pick and choose what particular procedure will get them to a goal. This is because their psychology is less perturbed by the constraints their elders lived under. 

My primary personal challenge was how I was going to live in the open as a transgender person who had existed for decades under a fixed model I was taught regarding what sex and gender were supposed to be. I had come to transition kicking and screaming always thinking I had to avoid it until I no longer could nor wanted to. 

I had constraints placed on me because of my age and decided on an approach that embraced authenticity; one which also required that I retool the psychology. 

It meant making  a life that looked different to the one I was forced into for many years but also required resiging myself to, what for a time, felt like an awkward compromise. 

This psychological adjustment has taken me the longest. I had the voice, clothing, mannerisms, etc down pat for a long time but the mind hadn't yet caught up to nearly the same level. 

I knew I wasn't going to ever hide any longer because I was sick of it but that also meant finding a plateau which included the blending of people I have met over recent years who don't know I am transgender and those who have witnessed the entire slow transformation process happen slowly. 

There are many more things to patch up due to our lived history and there is just no way around it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

All respectful comments are welcome :)

No way around it

Older transgender people will have more trouble adapting to existing at a point somewhere within the old binary than today's youth. The ...