Aileen was walking her beautiful husky in my direction as we crossed paths on the sidewalk.
"Hello there and where are you going on this fine morning? To work?"
"No I'm retired" I responded and I could see she was surprised since she had clearly underestimated my age which I then divulged.
"I need to get out of the house and get my energy out otherwise I go mental" and she laughs.
Aileen is 67 and works at the daycare attached to the school directly in front of my house. We have never spoken before other than a brief good morning or a comment on the weather.
This morning it's a solid 5 minute conversation as I head to the metro early as usual. I leave the house at 6 am because I love the fresh air and lack of extreme summer heat.
She gently scolds her 4 year old husky "don't get hair on her" and pulls him back which then prompts me to pet him to show I'm not quite so sensitive.
Building a neighborhood life is an organic process. People see and recognize you and they say hello as you process where you know them from. You slowly but surely become a known commodity.
It's been one of the pleasant things about my transition.
No comments:
Post a Comment
All respectful comments are welcome :)