Monday, May 1, 2023

Compromise

It is only once we stop caring about what others think that we become truly free. My generation,  and certainly those before, lived under the thumb of oppressive conformity which meant there was little room for originality.

I remember laughing as I watched a YouTube video of 1920's America where every single head was covered in a hat and all passerbys in front of the camera were sartorial copies of each other. Repeat that exercise today and the divergence in style would be considerably more evident. Such is the progress we have made in allowing people to be themselves.

Being born in the early 1960's meant that much of my life would still be lived under the pressure of conformity but one which increasingly loosened with the passing of each decade. I of course changed my mindset over my life and have learned to almost completely disregard what others think.

The occasional reflex reminds me that I am not yet perfectly where I want to be when I see some blessed free spirit go about their business in oblivious confidence. But nevertheless my style has never been about shock value and so I console myself with that while I quietly and patiently undo my programming.

One decision I am greatly thankful for is my switch to a backpack purse which, after my daily morning routine, is decidedly a massive back saver. No compromise involved there.



No comments:

Post a Comment

All respectful comments are welcome :)

Blanket statements

I made a comment on a detransitioner video about how each case is different and what works for some is not the case for all. She was trying ...