Sunday, October 20, 2024

Worthwhile

Today I meet a young engineer for coffee who I hired right out of school about 12 years ago. He now has 3 young children, works as an estimator for one of the MontrĂ©al municipalities and last time we spoke he was happy in the role. He left my company a few years before I retired for more money and a shorter workweek. 

He will meet Joanna today although he has known about my dysphoria for several years. I live openly so hiding isn't a desired option especially after one gets fed up with living for the approval of others. He, like all the people I have been associated with, has no problems with my identity. At 36 years of age it would be surprising if he did. 

I will be 62 soon and I marvel sometimes at where life has taken me. Yes, the dust is still falling in my adjustment to retirement with more hours to fill than I had expected, and yet natural introverts like me are less perturbed by this. Now the contact I want to keep with people must bring me something other than just filling space with conversations about nothing. 

Those who are alone and about to retire may have some issue with the process because there are no more distractions and no one needs you as much as they once did. But it must be said that  once you adapt, the internal peace makes it all worthwhile.


No comments:

Post a Comment

All respectful comments are welcome :)

Just when you think...

 ....you have scraped the bottom of the barrel along comes Arnold Palmer...